Re: Dielectric ideas

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 10/19/01 4:57 PM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
>

> Nick,
>
> If they are polyethylene or Propylene i think they would work (watch for
> inclusions), but if they are those ones you can't cut through, i'm not
> so sure?
> those "super duty" cutting boards are made out of some mix of
> polyE-polyP-Lexan-diamond-?????. It would be nice to know what they are,
> I say get a few and try it. Let us know how they work and maybe a real
> good dielectric is laying on the shelf but we don't know yet? I have
> looked real hard at the ones in the bacon packs (Bacon?) but these are
> made of that same space material. I wonder if the triggered gap could be
> used for a pierce voltage tester? If it's anything like mylar it won't
> stand up to ANY corona, it just melts into a large hole then shorts.
> Definitely worth a look for the money.
> Keep us posted ,
> Marc M.
>>
>> Original poster: "Nick Andrews by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nicothefabulous-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>>
>> The ones I refer to are thin 12x16" poly sheets, very flexible, not the ~1/4
>> or so boards.  These look to be about as thick as, say, 5 or so sheets of
>> regular sheet poly stacked would be.  Should easily cut to size with
>> scissors.  They really remind me of the laminated placemats you see in
>> tourist traps...
>>
>>> From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>>> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>>> Subject: Re: Dielectric ideas
>>> Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:24:52 -0600
>>>
>>> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
>>> <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
>>>
>>> These won't make great capacitors (they're pretty thick), but they do make
>>> great dielectric construction material for clamps, etc.  The thicker boards
>>> are handy (and cheap) as well.  Only use the white ones!
>>>

>>> Tesla list wrote:
msnip...

If the plastic pads are more than 30 mill thick measure them. Look at the
brand name and ask the manufacture what they are made of. If you like what
you find out put the power to them and see if they work.
   Robert H