Re: Fly Killers into Tesla Coils?

Original poster: "Matt Shayka by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <lightningcreator-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi Matt,

As a matter of fact, I have powered a coil with a 4kV 9mA BZT. It[the coil]
was very small, and didn't do all that well because I didn't have the right
size capacitor.

The transformer itself is a great little thing. It looks like a small NST
with two HV insulators on one side.

I depotted it to see if I could pop out nay shunts but it was a
jefferson-magnetec and they were built into the core. Now its repotted it
vaseline. Boy these things were built to last.

I scrounged the bug zapper from sombody's trash. It was thrown out because
the cap that goes across the secondary burnt out.

Thats the other thing. The transformers have caps across them, perhaps thats
what you saw instead of a MOV. It provides the first burst of current to
kill the bug...

And, curious to see whether the manufacturers have switched to slolid-state
devices like a flyback, I bought one yesterday at wall-mart for $15. I took
it home and opened it up, and it still has a regualar transformer in it. one
thing that really suprised me was the core.

Its about 2 1/2" long, 1 1/2" wide, and 1/2" thick. like this:

ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
ccccc   ppppppp     sssssssssssssssssss   ccccc
ccccccccpppppppcccccssssssssssssssssssscccccccc
ccccccccpppppppcccccssssssssssssssssssscccccccc
ccccccccpppppppcccccssssssssssssssssssscccccccc
ccccc   ppppppp     sssssssssssssssssss   ccccc
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

c=core, p=primary, s=secondary

the secondary is enlosed in a plastic case open at the top, and filled with
clear epoxy. the capacitor is in the case with the epoxy.

Sorry for my babbling, and I hope this doesn't take a week to post as my
other replies have.

Matt Shayka