Re: Triggered gap-LOUD

Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ludev-at-videotron.ca>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> In sound isolation you have two problems:
> air paths - sealing is the key.. small slots let amazing amounts of sound
> through
> transmission through the panel - mass and non-stiffness is the key - hence
> the popularity of lead sheet, massive, soft, etc.
>
> Foam, fiberglass batts, etc. are nice at killing HF reflections or
> transmission (which is probably where most of the noise from a spark gap is)

That true but I think it's probably a low frequency component too
from the start of conduction, if you check on a scope the wave
signature of a tesla coil you see a really sharp rise of energy
and that probably cause shock wave. I even think of using this
shock wave in reflection to help quench a gap at first notch, I
explain; if you have a solid reflector like a tube of quartz
around your 2 electrodes a little bit like a discharge tube ( one
electrode at each end of the tube ) if the distance between the
wall of the tube and the arc is right you'll get an instant rise
of pressure at the arc site at the moment your tesla is at first
notch helping the quench. Take an example: we have a coil were
the frequency is 200 KHz and the coupling making it to reached
the first notch after 10 cycles; The sound speed could be found here,

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/souspe.html

we said 344 m/s*((1/200000) * 10)=1.72 cm the tube need to be
1.72 cm or the arc need to be at 1.72 cm/2 of the reflective
surface but this is at room temperature if the air is at 800 F
the tube need to be 3 cm. The main problem is that the sound
speed vary a lot with temperature and I think with pressure I
don't said I could make that gap but may be it's feasible, tune
muffler for 2 cycle motor used this principle with success.

Cheers,

Luc Benard

P.S. It's not my habit to share highly hypothetical stuff here
but may be one of you could use this.

snip