Re: Chokes

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 10/22/01 8:07 AM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I know that this string won't die, but I feel that I have a point that I
> need to raise with the choke-haters :). What if you match the choke to a
> resistor, so you reach a critical damping point to stop the choke inputting
> pulses into the transformer or resonating??? I was talking to a friend about
> the filter for his big coil, and he uses chokes for it. I am currently
> running some simulations to see what kind of resistance I need.... I think
> however that it could work very well for a coil that is too big to use a
> terry style filter. I am always going to use a filter, because there is some
> sensitive equipment on my AC line that I would like to keep whole....
>
> Regards,
> Jason

I am of the same mind as you. I use a "T" RCL filter on each leg of my high
voltage to the spark gap. I use another filter on all 3 legs of my input ac
power to protect other equipment from problems. I probibly have a bit of
over kill protection, but I cant afford to replace my computer etc. My RCL
filter is 1k 25w wire wound resistor(low Q rfc) to the transformer,.033u
15meg shunt capacitors (7 ea 3kv series string) to ground leg ,and a 15 turn
toroid wound ( on a tv deflection coil core) choke to the spark gap to give
me surge current disconect when my SG fires. For what it is worth
    Robert H