Re: 15" coil project

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 10/22/01 1:05 AM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "Luc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <ludev-at-videotron.ca>
>
> Hi Scot,
>
> Tesla list wrote:
>>
>> Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>
>>
>>> BIG SNIPPERZZZ...
>>>
>>> Exactly.  Someone with experience and adequate
>>> equipment really needs to write a paper on how wire
>>> gauge/turns etc. affect coil efficiency...hint..hint.

>>> Thanks.  I hope so.
>>>
>>> -Brett

>>> Make a great connection at Yahoo! Personals.
>>> http://personals.yahoo-dot-com
>>
>> Hi Brett....
>>
>> I used 2 secondaries of different design in a coil system ( everything else
>> was the same except for
>> tune point)
>>
>> the first secondary was an 8" 22Ga. wound to 1100 turns   the 2nd secondary
>> was 12" with 18 Ga.
>> with 1050 turns..  applying the same power to both resulted in 10 - 12'
>> arcs on the 12" secondary
>> and the 8" secondary resulted in a disaster of racing arcs and fried
>> windings....
>>
>> I would say it makes a difference :)
>>
>> Scot D
>
> I could understand what you mean and it's seem reasonable that a
> coil with surface of wire less than half of winding ( 8" coil:
> 747 square inch of winding, 12" coil: 1721 square inch of winding
> ) could not process the same amount of energy.
>
> What I'm curious about is to know how better or worst a 12" coil
> with the same length of winding ( Same surface ) but wind with a
> smaller wire could perform many of us could be interested to see
> how a 12" coil coiled the same length than yours but with 24 AWG
> ( double the turns ) could perform on yours system.
>
> I think some of us did these experiments (Marc, John ) and note a
> better output.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Luc Benard

I am reading your script and I wonder if you tested your resonant frequency
to determin compatibility befor you started your test. Your turns are nearly
the same, but are your turns per inch the same. I guess what I am asking is,
is the inductance/ frequency of each coil the same, If not you have added
another variable that is not accounted for in your test. Just my thoughts.
    Robert H