Re: Looking for run caps, urgent

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/23/01 10:21:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>
>
> Mike: Thanks a bunch for the extraction!
> I'm at the office so I can't quote the original formula I used but it was
> from the pupman archives doing a search on PFC.
>
> Obviously 72µF is a major difference than 165µF for a 15/60.
>
> Maybe the best way is to install 72µF and clamp an amp meter on the line
> cord then add a tad more and do it again.
> All of this will happen after the run at Hangman's. I visit my coil on
> weekends <smile>
>
> Safety First
>
> Ted

Hi Ted, Mike, All,

        As soon as I finish Ratsnest-1 (My 3.6KVA Power console) (~01Nov01), I
will be starting on a switchable PFC bank. This will consist of initially 20
and later 55 15uF x 660V capacitors with each one being switchable in or out of
the array in series or parallel. This should give me an "almost variable"
capacitor from 5uF to 300 uF. The plan is to install the cap bank on the
primary side of the NST bank but put the scope across the inlet to the power
console and adjust the caps to get a zero phase angle at the wall socket. The
NST Bank will have 1 to 4 15/60s, again switchable. This should allow for some
in-depth study of PFC on NSTs. I will be posting results if and when there are
some to talk about, probably around the first of the year. Then if anyone would
like to come down and verify the results, y'all welcome to the hills.

Cheers,
Matt D.