RE: Mutual inductance and K factor

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-telocity-dot-com>

Weazle -

Thank you for sending me the test data from your coil. I am aware of Terry's
method for finding the mutual inductance but I am not very familiar with the
typical calculations. My notes on his method are buried somewhere in moving
boxes and I do not have his address for the test.

Your caculations appear to be incorrect in that the mutual inductance should
reduce instead of increase when the secondary is raised. Also, are your
coils pri to sec distance (1.0) and the pri inside radius (3.05) and outside
radius (7.55) of the used turns agreeing with the program outputs? I hope
that you can soon test your coil with my method which requires no
calculations by the user. With the proper amps (2.65 or 3.18) in the ammeter
you only have to read the mutual inductance uh from the DVM meter.

The program shows a mutual inductance of 83.57 uh (you show 32.36) for zero
inches distance of the sec above the pri and 66.15 uh (you show 42.97) for
1.0 " distance. The 32.36 to 42.97 should be a decrease not an increase in
mutual inductance. The K Factor of .075 to .100 should also be a decrease.

If Terry would give me the address for his method I can determine what the
calcs should be. Thanks Terry.

John Couture