RE: Mutual inductance and K factor

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-telocity-dot-com>

Weazle -

The equation you used apparently is not in the programs Terry has listed
below. Where did you find this equation? Your calcs are correct. It is the
equation that is incorrect.

 I ran Mark's example thru the JHCTES Ver 3.3 with the following results

                       Ver 3.3      Mark
  Mutual Inductance    569.310     742.900
  K Factor               0.159       0.203

It appers that Mark's K Factor may be too tight or the Ver 3.3 is too loose.
When I checked Paul's examples a year ago his program and the Ver 3.3
appeared to agree closely for some coils. These two programs are very
difficult to use and I have checked only the examples so the comparisons are
preliminary. Have any coilers used these programs and compared them with
tests of their coils for the mutual inductance and the K Factor?

It looks like we are going to have to wait until you get a chance to do the
test I showed. The result will also have to be verified by the operating
frequency and K Factor tests I mentioned. I said that testing Tesla coils to
check TC programs is not easy. In fact I do not believe any coiler has ever
done a complete job. It is just too time consuming.

John Couture