MOT Help

Original poster: "Patrick Bloofon by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <transactoid-at-home-dot-com>

Okay, well I took apart that microwave I mentioned and pulled out lots of
neat stuff. I got the transformer, the cap, the magnetron and other stuff.

I have questions about using the MOT.  I've read that it produces about 2 -
2.5kv and draws around 500 mA. But I've also read that it can draw several
amps and even blow fuses.  What am I getting confused about? Is it safe to
just run it "as is" for say, a jacob's ladder (though I realize that voltage
isn't conducive to producing good arcs)?

Also, from some of your responses, I checked to see if my cap has a resistor
and diode across it. I couldn't find any such external components, but the
side of the cap has this schematic on it:

http://members.home-dot-net/transactoid/cap.jpg

Does this mean the bleeder resistor is inside the cap? Why is it connected
to ground as opposed to the other lead from the cap?

Thanks.