Re: electrolytic caps, with a ceramic coating.

Tesla list wrote:

> My readings on Leyden jar caps indicate that the glass acts as a
> dielectric.

	Just so, and one which is inherently non polarized.

> Similar to electrolytic caps they contain salt water.

	Leyden jar caps work fine without salt water.
	That's one way to make contact inside, not the most efficient.

	(If 'they' refers to electrolytic caps:
		The electrolyte is a deal more complex than (and
		different from) salt water.
	and
		The electrolyte in an electrolytic cap is not the
		dielectric.  The dielectric consists of a layer of
		gas bubbles, created FROM the electrolyte, against
		one of the electrodes.  (Electrolytic caps are
		inherently polarized: reversal of applied voltage
		collapses the gas bubbles, leading to voltage punch
		thru.  The collapse is not 'instant' so the caps
		do not fail 'instantly'.

		(one CAN have a 'bipolar electrolytic: two caps in one
		case, in 'antiseries'.  Lossy, poor power handling
		ability, seemingly  unsuited for Tesla coil work..)))

> I have obtained a ceramic caulk that could be used to coat some
> stainless steel to form a dielectric. Would this material act the
> same as a glass "Leyden jar" type capacitor?

	Probably.  It would be tricky (hard, difficult) to get a uniform
	layer.  Also, what are the loss characteristics of the 'ceramic'.
	Also does it bond with no pinholes (which will punch thru...))

	best
	dwp