Re: containing the secondary

In a message dated 10/30/01 7:17:18 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> i was wondering how other coilers keep their secondaries from tipping
>  over. unless you have a pretty well balenced top load i can see it
>  toppling over. or on even a somewhat windy day it being blown over.

Matt,

I install a rigid wooden post onto the bottom of my secondaries.
The post fits into a wooden socket in the base stand for the coil.
A thumb-screw tightens against the post, and holds the secondary
post at any desired height, to allow for easy coupling (height)
adjustments.  The post can be made from plastic pipe if prefered.

Arcing between primary and secondary usually means the coils
are too close to each other.  Usually 1" of spacing is sufficient.
If the arcing occurs only on the secondary, the coils are probably
overcoupled, and the secondary needs to be raised.  Arcing on
the secondary can also occur for other reasons such as mistuning,
or over-powering the coil.

Cheers,
John