winding the secondary

Original poster: "Janet Johnson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jpjmassage-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi list,
I am getting ready to wind my secondary and I have been reading different
approaches.  Brent Turner's book says if you use a plastic (PVC) pipe, just
sand it and clean it, wind it and seal it with "several light coats of a spray
acrylic or lacquer."  So he doesn't say it's necessary to seal it before
winding it.  Richard Quick on the other hand, says to bake it in an oven
overnight after wet sanding it and then coat it with polyurethane for several
hours before winding it.  My questions: if you just dry sand the pvc do you
need to worry about drying it?  How smooth does it need to be (I haven't gotten
all the scratches and nicks out of it after sanding it quite a lot)?  Do you
coat it again after winding?
Thanks for your time...
Jeff Johnson