Another improvement, Herrick's...S.S....Machine

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>

Again, to those who have my documentation:

The regulation of my switching current-limiting power supplies has been
woeful.  It's taken me too long to find the simple improvement: in dwg.
TCG-CK1A (Main Circuit) at lower left, add a rectifier diode (I use
Digi-Key's HER 303--3A, 200V) between the right end of F1 and the right
end of R9, cathode toward the R9-end.

That diode bypasses a sizeable 120 Hz ac voltage that otherwise appears
across L1 during recharging of the current-ring capacitors, giving
perhaps 6" more of spark length for repetitive sparks.  The switching
action during the initial in-rush time and capacitor recharging is
unaffected.

My theory of operation may not have made it clear that R7 should be
adjusted so that switching does not occur for output currents below 5-7
A.  That ensures minimum capacitor recharging time while still
sufficiently limiting mains over-current during in-rush or recharging.

Ken Herrick
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.