Re: effective k of a magnifier, was TSG advantages

In a message dated 9/3/01 2:56:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> >   Ke = Kd*sqrt(Ls/Lr + Ls)
>  >
>  > where Ke is the effective coupling, Kd is the driver coupling,
>  > Ls is the secondary inductance, and Lr is the resonator
>  > (extra coil) inductance.
>  >
>  > John Freau
>
>  John,
>
>  For the record, the driver inductance is 13.6 mh, the resonator is 77 mh
>  and the measured driver/primary coupling factor is .482.
>
>  Ed Wingate RATCB

Ed,

Thanks for that info.  So the overall effective coupling of your
magnifier is then 0.187 which is somewhat looser than
Richard Hull's Nemesis coil which I remember he said was
coupled at 0.25 or so.  This explains why you're getting
first notch quenching.  The looser the effective coupling,
the easier it is to quench.  Did you use the aiding/bucking L
method of measuring the k, or the voltage/current method?
I'm told the aiding/bucking L method, can give an
error that makes the coupling appear to be tighter than
it really is.  For instance a k of  0.45 could actually be
0.38 or so.

John Freau