Re: effective k of a magnifier, was TSG advantages

In a message dated 9/4/01 4:22:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Daniel Barrett by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
> dbarrett-at-clearcube-dot-com>
>
>      I appologize for asking a silly question, but I'm still coming up to
>  speed on the TC terminolgy. Does 'first notch quenching' mean that the
spark
>  gap is extinguished after the initial discharge of the tank cap into the
>  primary? If so, is this intended to maximize the amount of time the cap is
>  allowed to recharge?
>  Thanks,
>  db

db,

That is one benefit.  Another benefit of 1st notch quenching is
that the overall gap and some other losses are reduced because
the gap is "on" for a shorter amount of time.  Yes, first notch
quenching means what you said.  The energy is not permitted
to transfer back to the primary, then back to the secondary,
etc, a number of times.  Some have speculated that a slower
quench is better because it feeds the sparks with power in
a slower fashion.  It's unknown if this is a benefit however.

John Freau