Re: strange charge

Original poster: "Metlicka Marc by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

> Hi Marc and all...
>
> > While firing my coil (around 33khz)  I placed a short 2' piece of neon
> > sign on a ladder around 8' away. After firing the coil with some nice
> > blue haze from the ladder and strong hits, i walked over to get the
> > bulb, it lit? only for a short time but it lit? Repeatbly?
>
> This sounds like DC electrostatics to me. I think either one of these two:
>
> 1. You walk across the floor, gain a charge relative to ground, touch the
> bulb, and discharge Marc the walking capacitor through the bulb to ground ; )
> (or elevate the bulb itself to YOUR potential)

this is something i considered. Maybe the charge in the body (me)
doesn't transfer all at once and therefore my arm discharges and then
charges back up to discharge again??

> 2. A Tesla Coil CAN leave a charge on isolated metal objects. Try it - prop
> up a large piece of metal (TC toploads work great) on an insulator close to
> your coil, fire your coil, then touch the insulated metal. Many times you
> will recieve a slight little *pop* of DC current to your finger if the
> environment is right (which almost always is). The metal must be large and
> fairly smooth for this effect. If touched with a flourescent bulb, it will
> flash briefly, but brightly.
>
> (All this in the dark)
>
> Test #1 - Fire your coil, then touch the bulb with a grounded wire. If it
> lights once, then nothing, the coil is probably doing the work.

I actually got nothing from a grounded wire to the bulb? Also the bulb
only lit when the electrode area was touched, not the center glass.

> Test #2 - Don't fire your coil all day, then touch the bulb with a grounded
> wire. Do it again and again. If the bulb does NOT light - the coil might have
> something to do with it. If it DOES light, the bulb/ladder is gaining a
> charge from something else other than your coil. This is probably the case --
> it's really not that weird.
Sure is weird to me, To build my bodies potential from feet to head up
above the normal 600v, enough to light a bulb? strange.

> There are many variations of these tests, but you get the point.
>
> What kind of floor are you experiencing this on Marc?

It was outside on the dirt floor. It was shown by every one that was
there so I'm thinking the body is being charged and held at charge for
some time?

> And, is it a fiberglass ladder (insulated from ground) or solid metal
> (basically grounded)? Although this probably doesn't matter.

Aluminum, grounded to earth. neon was setting on plastic rungs.

> In conclusion: When touched, high voltage breaks down (ionizes) the gas
> inside the bulb, current flows, the charge is neutralized for a moment, and
> you see the flash of light. Now, why? ; )

So either the body is gathering and holding the charge or the
surrounding air\environment is being raised in potential locally and we
are draining this charge with our capacitance?

Another strange observation:
the next day i tried installing a digital sat. for a friend, I found
that i couldn't hold a compass in my hand, It would point AT me?
Has any one, or could anyone see if they can also swing a compass after
running a coil?
(Must have been the lead paint chips i ate as a kid?)

Take care,
Marc M.