Re: New Coil Design

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Ben,
        This limitation is actually a recommendation based on rule of thumb.
Short coils tend to have an arcing to ground problem, while long skinny ones
have a lower L/R ratio, and coupling becomes more problematic with
excessively long coils. Actually, the L/R ratio is maximized when H=0.45D,
but short coils have a very high Volt/turn ratio which increases dangers of
arcing.
1:3 to 1:5 is a good compromise and is aesthetically balanced, but NOT gospel.

Matt D.