Re: "Radio" Frequency

In a message dated 9/7/01 12:50:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> I know that someone, somewhere, at some point HAD to have tried making a
>  solid (maybe powdered ferrite) cored TC on a large scale (like 6" or so),
>  not some wimpy little 1" toy. Who was it? Results? Why?

Duck,

When you use core materials other than air in a Tesla coil, then
you have to begin to be concerned about possible saturation,
heating, and losses in the core material.  Lou Balint, a Tesla
magnifier researcher, has used ferrite in the driver of a magnifier
to increase the coupling.  The system worked up to a point, but
did not offer better performance than an air core arrangement.
Insulation was difficult.  There is probably not much benefit to
be gained by using super-tight coupling schemes, if the gap
cannot quench fast enough, if the insulation fails, and if core
losses increase.

John Freau