Re: QuickTC Version 1.1 now available

Hi Michael,
           A comment on a piece of your text below:

On 8 Sep 2001, at 11:51, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Michael Rhodes by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rhodes-at-fnrf.science.cmu.ac.th>

> [...]
>    analysis systems for particle physics systems (ion implanters, linear
>    accelerators, etc.) and found writing this program a nice change.
>    The GUI has to be written in such a way as that the non-computer literate
>    operators have little problems understanding how the control program
>    works.  Also prevent them from entering values that could be hazardous
>    to them or the equipment (these machines operate from 150kVDC
>    to 400kVDC).
>

> > 1.  Allow panel to be enlarged to full screen magnification for us sight
> >      impaired   ;^)
>
>    I too am visually impaired (too much time staring at a computer monitor
>    and writting programs like this:-)  I have addressed this and now you
>    can resize most windows to any size you like or maximize to full screen.
>
> > 2.  Some of the frequency outputs are red on blue background (almost
> >      unreadable)! Check your screens and make sure that they are
> >      legible and don't have clashing colors.
>
>    This is why I need Beta testers. I test my program on two computers at
>    two resolutions. I program on a 17" 1024x768 screen but switch to
>    800x600 to see if there is any 'crunch' in the forms.  However, due to
>    different systems having different sweep frequencies and color balance
>    I need to rely upon a larger cross section of computers to correct any
>    problems.  I have cleaned up the colors and contrasts and believe they
>    are now much more legible and consistant.
>
> >   I didn't see any crashes, but make sure your error trapping and GUI
> >   annunciation of such is user friendly and / or doesn't cause the "Blue
> >   Screen of  Death (BSD) syndrome.
>
>    I have now gone through every input parameter and put either
>   value constraints or warning messages to inform the user of the problem.
>   One of the most common problems with programs that do a lot of
>   calculations is the dreaded 'divide by zero' error.  I have corrected all
>   of them?  I have a tendency to put off my error trapping code until
> everything
>   is written, bad habit.
>
> > 3.  Wire 1/4 wavelength has virtually no bearing on resonant frequency of
> >      resonator.
>
>    Some explanation on my part is in order here.  I realize that 1/4
> wavelength
>    theory for TCs is no longer in vogue.  It has to do with the way I handle
>    my internal calculations.  The secondary has a fixed inductance but a
>    variable capacitance (Cself + Topload) where Topload is the variable.
>    As such I need a seed resonance frequency as a start to calculate a total
>    secondary capacitance.  My choice was to use the secondary wire length
>    and calculate the frequency at 1/4 wavelength.  This is how I built my
>    TC and it worked surprisingly well.  You can see it at
>    http://www.fnrf.science.cmu.ac.th/tesla/index.html
>    Afterwards you can modify the topload and the new (non 1/4 lambda)
>    frequency will be used.  Perhaps my labeling is confusing.

Actually, the secondary is a quarterwave resonator. The quarterwave
however does *not* refer to the length of wire in the coil. It refers
instead to the resonator's fundamental vibrational mode. I know it is
not an exact analogy but consider a steel ruler whose bottom inch or
so is clamped in a vice. It is a quarterwave resonator. Same with a
skyscraper. Add a lump of mass to the top and you've just added some
topload "capacitance". The resonator is velocity inhibited. That
means that instead of travelling X thousand metres in Y milliseconds,
the wave travels a few feet/metres up the coil in the same Y
milliseconds.

Regards,
malcolm