Re: caps

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <presence-at-churchofinformationwarfare-dot-org>

 ----- Original Message -----
 From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
 To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
 Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2001 8:59 PM
 Subject: RE: caps

 > Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
 <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

 > Don't dismiss a cap just because it has a DC voltage rating.  The only
 > voltage rating on the label of a Maxwell pulse caps is a DC voltage, and
 > these have been known to be useful in Tesla coils!

 Maybe those ones are "ok" but a DC cap is not an AC cap.

 > The problem is that "AC" by itself is not at all specific.  A motor run
 > cap has an AC voltage rating because it's assumed that it will run at
 > 50/60 HZ -at-100% duty cycle.  For anything else, are we talking about 60
 > Hz and 100% duty cycle, 100KHz at 100% duty cycle, or 100KHz at some
 > small duty cycle?  The same cap would have very different ratings for
 > these different applications.

 There would be no "same cap" for motor run applications and 100kHz. Low
 frequency caps are cheaper to make, and that is how motor run caps are
 built. There is no univeral capacitor that is magic for all applications.
 You will notice that Maxwell Labs warns against using their pulse
capacitors
 as entended use DC filter caps evn though they might seem rough and tough
 enough for the "ligher" job.

 KEN