Re: Modeling Secondary Inductance

In a message dated 9/10/01 10:17:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> > Something else I noticed about the model was that when the spark gap
switch
>  > closed, the coil output spiked up and rang down.  I thought the secondary
>  > oscillations built over successive firings until the voltage reached a
>  > threshold and blasted out sparks.  I read an analogy with lasers
somewhere.
> ..

Jeff,

The firings are separate events, and no energy build-up can
occur over successive firings.  However the spark lengths can
build up in the air over successive firings, due to the
persistence of heat and ionization in the air, and this causes
higher break rates to give longer sparks for a given firing
energy or "bang-size".  This does not imply that higher
break-rates are more "efficient" at producing longer sparks
however.

John Freau