Re: The dowel of death - SAFETY

Original poster: "Mike Harrison by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mike-at-whitewing.co.uk>

Before we digressed into the conducting properties of various
materials, the question was why shocks were felt despite the end
electrode being grounded, and whether the inductance of the ground
wire was significant.
 I think the answer is yes and no. Although the inductance of the
ground wire is probably insignificant for the TC fundamental
frequency, a spark discharge has an extremely fast risetime, with
harmonics well into the gigahertz region, so the small inductance of
the ground wire will have a significant impedance for this initial
fast spark current impulse, causing short high voltage spikes to
appear on the electrode, which are then conducted down the dowel. The
fact that these impulses are short may also be significant, as the
capacitance of the dowel will appear as increased conductivity of
these high frequencies - a rod that may appear insulating at DC could
well capacitively couple HF impulses - imagine lots of isolated
'drops' of water content - although insulated from each other at DC,
the inter-drop capacitance could appear as some conductivity at very
high frequencies.