Re: Q about E-tesla-6

Hi Peter,

At 07:22 PM 9/10/2001 -0700, you wrote:

>Terry,
>      I have read your "original.txt", which is prompting me to ask these
>questions. Lets see if I can re-phrase them,
>
>The field at each point on the "gaussian surface" must be computed, and here
>is the question: is this not done by summing up the contribution of each
>unit of charge in the physical TC.

The coil and top load are given computed initial voltages.  Paul's work and
my testing helped determine the voltage distribution along the secondary coil.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/NSVPI/NVSPI.htm
http://www.abelian.demon.co.uk/tssp/pn1710/

I know all the boundary conditions to high accuracy, so iteration can solve
for the voltage at any point on the grid.  This is one of those boundary
condition relaxation computations that works the grid over and over until
the numbers no longer change with each iteration.  Then I go to the grid
and compute the flux on the surface which is really a half circle that gets
"calculused" into a spherical surface which satisfies Gauss's equation.

>I understand from Paul Nicholson's work that there is a particular
distribution
>of charge on a coil if the top is at a given voltage and the base is at ground
>voltage, and you need this distribution to correctly compute the field on
>the gaussian surface.  Was this not the important enhancement in version 6,
>or am I missing something here (entirely possible, I'm trying to get an
>understanding before I dive into the source code).

Version 6 took Paul's work into account to give a far more accurate voltage
distribution along the secondary.  I used to use my "old" testing which
worked fairly well but the new data gives far better results.  I originally
did antenna measurements with a little cell phone antenna along my big
secondary coil to come up with an equation for the secondary voltage
distribution.  Then Paul's work refined that greatly to what is now used.

>So my question is what assumption did you make about the distribution of
charge
>on the toroid to complete the analysis.

All the voltage on the toroid is the same.  The "charge" is not important.
The E-field is determined by the voltage of the boundary conditions and the
charge is determined by computing the sum of the E-field though the
surface.  Since the toroid is a solid non-reactive conductor, the voltage
everywhere on its surface is the same number.  The voltage on the toroid is
all the same, so only its position in relation to the surroundings and its
dimensions determine its capacitance or it's contribution to the overall
coil's capacitance.

>thanks again, apologies in advance this is taking so long...

No problem at all.  I spent many many hours on the program not counting the
help of many others to get it to work.  A ton of work went into it so it
takes time to figure it all out from scratch.

Cheers,

	Terry