Re: bulk buy of super caps?

Original poster: "B2 by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bensonbd-at-erols-dot-com>

Hi All,
    Try these:  Plastic Capacitors Inc., BD300-103B, 0.01 uF, 30 kVDC (Peak
to Peak maximum).  Specifications: Polypropylene, Extended foil
construction, Induction heater service, 300 kHz CW for a typical work day
of about 8 hours, 4" square by 5" high can with one insulator on top 1 1/2"
dia by 3 " high approx.

    These were the cheapest that I found ($120 each) after an exhaustive 1
year search (1986) when I was experimenting with Tesla coils at the
University of Maryland physics department.  Special order specification is
overkill and a waste of money.  Off the shelf designs manufactured on a
continuous basis for manufacturers tend to be well "debugged" and much
cheaper than the other varieties.  Capacitor manufacturers usually have
special deals with manufacturers (Lepel, etc.) where vast quantities are
manufactured and there are sometimes lot overruns with leftovers.  The
capacitor manufacturers are very eager to get rid of these leftovers for a
good price.  Ask for "manufacturing overruns".

    That said, I wouldn't buy another big capacitor again.  MMCs are labor
intensive but more rugged and compact.  The available enginering data and
experiences by list members adds great value to these designs.

Cheers,
B2