Re: bulk buy of super caps?

Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

> >  I've examined some charts and have seen that a15kv 0.05uF MMC
> > might be as few as 4 sets of parallel capacitors. That is not exacly the
> > equivalent of high current construction.

I agree with you when you say that an MMC bank that is rated to the voltage
that you are running it at is not 'high current' constructed. What I do (and
I suspect many people do) is to make the cap string overrted, i.e. my 10/85
NST uses a 25KV cap string. It is more expensive, but has not failed yet.
Also, running MMC's at very high breakrates does not seem to damage them at
all, but this of course depends on the MMC. I am planning to build a 100nF
MMC bank for a MOT powered coil, which will run at a breakrate of 400 or
possibly even 800BPS to get the maximum power to the coil. I know many will
tell me that such a high break rate is not neccesary, but I want to
experiment with the caps, and I can always cut the breakrate down by
removing electrodes. I doubt that MMC perform less well than 'big caps' and
are in some ways better, because they are so much cheaper and more
customizable

Regards,
Jason