Re: High humidity operation

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Aric,

The key to reducing ozone production is to get hotter sparks by running
with a large topload at relatively high power with an efficient coil. Ozone
is created primarily by cold discharges, not by hot sparks and arcs. Try to
obtain adequate ventilation since hotter streamers and the main spark gap
will tend to create irritating oxides of nitrogen. These include NO, NO2
(quite irritating), and the worst of the bunch N2O5 which converts itself
to nitric acid inside your lungs.

You may want to make sure that the equipment is near an air intake for the
ventilation system. Post prominent warnings of the potential danger to
those having asthma, emphysema, or other breathing/heart conditions. You
also need to make sure that the coil has multiple helpers/observers, any
one of whom can "kill" power to the coil if necessary. The areas near the
coil, spark gaps, power control, etc. must all be clearly roped off to keep
everyone at a safe distance. The power controller should be capable of
being "locked" in a safe mode to prevent an unauthorized/inebriated bozo
from doing something stupid. The use of a grounded chicken wire curtain
between the coil and the onlookers (but beyond their reach) will add
another degree of protection. I'm sure that those "in the business" can
offer more suggestions as well.

Hope this helped!

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Rothman, Aric by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Aric.Rothman-at-Honeywell-dot-com>