RE: Q about E-tesla-6

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Geofrey,
        thanks for taking the time

>Because a charge placed on a toroid will not uniformly distribute itself
>over the surface, I have no idea of how to compute the charge density.
>Without an expression for the charge density, the calculation of the
>potential cannot proceed. Anyway I thought it was an interesting question
>and I'll think about it some more.

OK, glad that at least one person besides myself thinks the charge might
not distribute itself uniformly over the toroid.

One possible analogy is that the electrons are a "gas" that are in an enclosed
volume (the sheet metal aluminum of the toroid is the "volume", not the whole
solid toriodal volume), in which case the "pressure" would of course force
a uniform distribution. But the electrons are not a "gas" they exert a pressure
not only to their neighbors but also the inverse-square force across free space
to all other electrons in other relatively remote regions of the toroid.

Clearly the electrons will distribute themselves in such a way as to minimize
the total potential energy of the total repulsive forces between them all,
but whether that results in a uniform or non-uniform distribution is not yet
obvious to me.

Do you understand E-tesla-6 enough to know whether it is the charge
distribution on the TC surfaces that is being calculated when Terry talks of
iteratively converging to the solution, or is it the E-field around the
surfaces and up to the chosen gaussian surface that is being computed,
or both?

Peter Lawrence.