Re: Coating the secondary

Hi Vince,

Polyurethane will hold the wires in place and protect the windings very well
from bumps and such.  It does help some to provide added insulation between
windings.  It will not have any affect an the streamer length or coil
performance.  I would us polyurethane since everyone has good luck with it and
it is easy to find.  I like brush on Minwax high gloss.  The spaces between the
wires hold a LOT of the stuff.  Forget the spray on kind unless you get like
ten cans or just want a very light coat to hold the wire basically in place.

The best way to put it on is will the coil slowly turning and brush it on
thick.  The turning coil will evenly distribute the stuff and it will look
perfect when dry aside from a few bugs that always get on it.  If you can't
turn it, go for many thin coats.  I would also test it on a scrap something
first just to be sure it dries properly and all that...

You can leave a coil uncoated but temperature and humidity may make the coil
expand and contract that may cause the wire to loosen.  I once had a cardboard
tube coil that sat awhile.  I simply touched it and all the wire slide right
down to the bottom of the coil because the tube shrank.

Cheers,

        Terry