Re: H-E-L-P!!!

Yow........

On 23 Sep 2001, at 12:51, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Charles Hobson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <charles.a.hobson-at-btinternet-dot-com>

That approach will probably succeed in beating the capacitors to
death, not to mention excessive gap wear and annoying the neighbours
with wideband splatter on their TVs etc.  I suggest you position a
grounded rod close to the coil, fire briefly (like 1 second or so)
and look for a discharge. Move the rod in until you get one. Then,
move the rod out a couple of inches, tap the primary coil in or out a
turn and try again. As improvements happen you can progressively
widen the gap between the terminal and the rod. The improvements will
not be radical until you get close to tune. Once you get to peak
performance like this, you can move the rod away altogether and fire
of several seconds. If you don't get an output discharge this time,
the radius of curvature of your top terminal is too large for the
voltage your coil is developing. That problem may be corrected in
several ways: widening the primary gap until you have reached an
acceptable limit for the transformer you are using; adding more
primary capacitance; adding a discharge point to the topload to
reduce its effective radius of curvature. Try it and let us know how
you get on so we can advise further.

Malcolm