Re: Sync rotor

In a message dated 9/26/01 9:25:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> One friend report to me that he saw a synchronous motor having 4
>  holes in the rotor parallel to the shaft just under the surface
>  instead of flat???

Luc,

It may be a hysterisis type motor which will lock in a
different position every time it starts.  These motors often
use just a hollow cylinder of special steel for the rotor.
One of mine has a thin plate at each end of the rotor.
The thin plates have 4 large holes drilled into them.

John