SW cap

Original poster: "Jason by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Hi all,

I have just constructed an SW cap. It is basically a wine bottle filled with
concentrated salt water. It has a copper wire going down the middle of it,
and the tinfoil is connected around the whole of the cylindrical part of the
bottle. It is then filled up to the neck with motor oil, and stopped with a
rubber wine cork. I was wondering a number of things:

1) What is the capacitnce (not exact of course, i mean is it 1nF, 10nF,
what?)
2) Why does it hiss when connected to a neon (sounds like air ionising)
3) What are the dielectic properies of glass?
4) Does the salt water just act as a conductor rather than part of the
actual capacitor? I have access to purified mercury - what would this be
like instead of salt?

Thanks all,

Jason