Re: Current

In a message dated 4/8/02 4:05:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Ion,

The primary losses are not as important as one might imagine.
As long as the wire is reasonable, making it better won't help
much.  This is because the spark gap losses tend to dominate
the system anyway.  I think it would be hard to see any spark
length improvement by using a gold secondary.  Gold does not
conduct as well as silver anyway.  But even a silver conductor
is not likely to give a noticeable advantage over copper, in a
typical coil.  Melting of the gold is not an issue.  I've never
seen a primary that runs at the melting point of gold, have you?

Cheers,
John