Re: varnish with guts ?

Original poster: "Chris Swinson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <exxos-at-cps-games.co.uk>

Alex,
> Chris,
> You wouldnt have a hope in hades of
> getting the coil of wire off the former again

I have done it with normal varnish with a small 10" long coil, 6.3" dia. I
put 3 layers of paper on beforehand, varnished it once and it set solid. I
just turned it upside down and it slid off with ease. The top and bottom of
the coil will take the most punishment for obvious reasons though the
windings stay fixed even with 1 coat of vanish!

> with no draft angle, if you really want to try
> this (and i recommend against it because i
> dont think it will ever be truly satisfactory)
> you need to make a tapered former, polish it
> and coat it with release agent. As fas as
> somethng to impregnate it with goes i cant
> really think of anything. If pipe is expensive
> (what size coild are you building - can't you
> use ordinary drainpipe for £10 for 3m) then
> you could always make a plexi frame to wind on
> - although the result would be more prone to
> damage.

I want some 12" dia pipe 3 meters, the 6.3" costs £25 for 3 meters, 12" will
be £50 I guess. If anyone knows somewhere ( in UK ) which sells it cheaper
then I would of course just buy some. While I'm at it, does anyone have a
good source for magnet wire ?  I am getting mine from amotor re-wind shop at
the moment £10 or £20 for a 3KG spool of 0.4mm. I actually want one of those
big 25KG spool of 1.8mm for something else if anyone can help ?

thanks,
Chris