Re: trioid (spelling?)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "rheidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

> ADAM: The easiest way to wind is the crudest. cut your length of PVC pipe. I
> like about 30 inch. Cut a 2x4 1/4 inch longer. cut 2 pieces of 2x4 about 10
> in long. nail the pieces on the end of the long piece to form a fat U. Drive
> a #16 nail 1 inch from the top of each  side of the U so the nail just shows
> the point pointed in. Then cut two piecec of 2X4 to just fit in the ends of
> of the coil form ends with a tight fit. drill a 1/8 in hole in the center of
> the 2x4 end blocks length wise with the coil form. Mount the coil form in
> the U by driving the #16 nails into the 1/8 holes enough to hold it like a
> roller. clamp it all to a work bench top edge with the coil form up in a
> horizontal position like a roller. If you are right handed srart on the left
> end. poke about 2 ft of wire into the end of the coil form and tape it to
> the end with about 1 in of tape. You will nead about 12 pieces of tape to
> finish. Place your wire role on the floor end up directly below your
> secondary so the wire will pull off the end. With your left hand roll the
> secondary so the wire comes over the top of the coil form away from you.
> Feed the wire under the edge of your finger nail of your right hand with
> your finger riding on the wire coil to keep it tight. as you wind put a tab
> of tape every 2 inch or so to hold the coil tight as you wind. From time to
> time you slip. The tape is to catch the wire so it dosent unwind all the way
> back. When you finish winding put a spot of 5-min epoxi on the wire ends of
> the wire to hold it all tight and when hard remove all the tape. Pull off
> the wood U and end blocks. Now you are ready to coat your coil. This takes
> about 1 hour to finish the winding. Other people use fancy winders, but this
> is to quick and east to bother.
>   Robert  H

	There is an even easier way.  Cut the form to shape, then hold it in
your lap, attach the wire at one end with tape, and rotate it with one
hand while you feed the wire into place tightly with the other.  You'll
quickly learn as you go, and if you started a little farther toward the
end than you need you will find you can get the winding nice and square
with the coil by the time you get to the desired starting point.  As
pointed out above, keep plenty of pre-cut pieces of tape handy.  When
you have finished winding you can apply shellac or varnish to the ends
of the windings.  Need enough coats to keep the wire attached to the
form when you pull the tape off.  You can then trim the turns to the
desired length and apply whatever varnish you want to the windings.
Using a winder makes it easier to apply the varnish (you just keep
turning while you brush it on), but I've wound several coils by hand and
just brushed thin shellac on after I was finished.  Several coats of
that seem to work just fine and don't absorb enough moisture to cause
problems.

	It's fun to make a winder, and handy for use later, but if you want to
get started without going to the bother this works fine.

Ed