Re: Proposed capacitive transformer TC?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jolyon Vater Cox by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jolyon-at-vatercox.freeserve.co.uk>

> So to keep the coupling the same both C1 and C2 would have to be adjusted
> which would change the frequency?

If the inductors are kept, yes. Otherwise the circuit gets out of tune.

>  Therefore to keep coupling coeffient AND frequency constant would it not be
> necessary to change the inductance of L1 and L2?

Yes, but the exact frequency of operation is usually not important.

> Or to keep frequency the same but with different coefficient of coupling,
> the total series capacitance of C1 and C2 would have to be constant but
> effective parallel inductance would have to change and vice-versa.

To have different coupling coefficients, the L2/L1 and C1/C2 ratios must
be both changed.

There is a detail that I forgot: The actual lumped model for the system
is:

 o------+--L1--+--C2--+-----+
        o      |      |     |
PSU    gap     C1     L2    C3
        o      |      |     |

There is some capacitance C3 from the terminal/L2 directly to the
ground.
This system can't be designed for complete energy transfer from
C1+C2 to C3+C2. It's obviously impossible if C2<<C3, as the two
tanks L1C1 and L2C3 would be disconnected. With C2 and C3 similar,
some energy transfer is possible (see my experiment).
I will analyze this circuit more carefully to see exactly what it
does and how far it is possible to go with the energy transfer.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz