Re: The dumpster again provides

Original poster: "cd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vbprg1-at-hotmail-dot-com>

If you want to salvage motor Run caps
you can find them in old used Air Conditioners
they are on the out door portion of ac units
I believe they are there to server the same purpose
we use them for the tesla coil...
The electric motor probably pulls less amps when it draws thorugh these
caps.
thanks to Terry for the explanation...from a few days back

a bit back I savlavaged 4 capacitors when they replaced 2 ac units at my
parents house
Each Ac unit had 2 capacitors, a small one, and a large one...
I belive they were wired in parallel
with the small cap closest to the wall line and the larger one
closer to the motor circuit
the specs on the 2 shiny ones are...

large one
ServiceFirst
25.0 MFD +10%-5%   it measures 24.75uf on my Multi meter
440 VAC 50-60Hz
-40c to +70c

small one
GE Capacitor
5uf  +06% -06%  it measures 4.71uf
370 VAC 50/60hz

A couple quick questions
These are motor run caps correct?
These would make good PFC caps?
The larger ones?
What was the logic behind paralleling a small one in line first?
How would one go about figuring out how much capacitance is needed for a
12000v 120 ma system?
any design guildlines for PFC capacitor bank?

The 2 older capacitor units were left to the elements a bit longer so Im
also wondering
Is there a good way to remove corosion from the capacitor leads and casings?
Would aluminum foil and Coke be acceptable for removing corrosion on these
units?
or will a rust acid aluminum reaction endager itegrity of casing?

(If you haven't already make friends with the AC guys:)
Thanks
Chris