electricity with a turbine

Original poster: "J Dow by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jdowphotography-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hello guys

Some may remember that I am an artist and I’m going to school at Mass Art in
Boston.
In September I’m moving into my new apartment on Mission Hill with three
girls. And will be using the basement for coil art. So my first questions is
this. How do I explain coiling to the girls?

Ok now to what I’m planning.
So I’m at this fine tractor pull/ antique engine festival in Maine. I was
really turned on by this working model steam turbine this one guy had made.
I have been toying with the idea of making my own electricity for a coil for
a long time and I thought the turbine was something I could do.
I’m looking at winding my own HV transformer and powering it with my own
steam turbine.
I really want to make a super high voltage transformer 50kv? 75kv? 100kv?,
not for TC use mind you, just a Jacobs ladder or other similar thing. I’d
power it with juice made with the turbine.
I’m thinking that the more steam I give the turbine the faster it goes and
the more current I can get out of it and there for I can make bigger sparks
on the Jacobs ladder.
1.	were can I learn about transformer construction?
2.	if I can only get 100 volts generated from the turbine what is involved
in stepping it up to 50k?or 100kv …. how high could one go…?
3.	how much will current govern spark lengths?
4.	if the “in” voltage to the transformer is turned down then the
transformer would step up the voltage not to 50kv but say 15kv, something
good for my TC. And then I would just have to feed the transformer more
current till it is where I want it for the TC.

I’m a man with a plan. The way I look at it ambition isn’t a bad thing.
Read you later
Josh