Re: Transformerless Tesla coil

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> This post reminded me of something posted a few years back by Dr
> Resonance on a magnifier thread. We were talking about the operation of
> magnifiers when someone came up with the idea of eliminating the driver
> coil, and thus the worries of flashover there and other problems with
> the primary etc. He said that they had done this before by taking a
> normal disruptive coil with two coils tuning it and then removing the
> secondary coil to a remote location and connecting the base of the
> secondary coil to another tap on the primary right by the first tuning
> tap with some heavy gauge wire, such as welding cable. I never did try
> it at the time, but now that I have thought of it again, I may have to
> give it a go next time I run my coil. The only problem I see with this
> is that if you got hold of the streamers you would be connected directly
> to the tank circuit, but then again you shouldn't get hold of the
> streamers anyway.

Welding cable is not necessary, since the cable continues with the
thin wire of the secondary coil and the current there is not high.
Just use a cable with enough mechanical stability. The direct
connection with the primary coil is not a serious danger, at least
not with the connection that I used. While the gap is conducting there
is no 60 Hz energy in the circuit, and with the gap open the primary
coil
and capacitor make an effective filter blocking the 60 Hz from the NST.
At the top of the secondary the signal is identical to what appears in
a regular transformer system. Just don't touch the primary system, as
in a regular coil. The streamers in my coil can't be touched. They
develop into too hot arcs, that cause burns.

I have added the design equations for the system to the page:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/mres4.html

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz