From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 9:46 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: FW: SSTC As a transmitter.

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

> Ed -
>
> How can you point out the fallacy of any scheme when you don't know what
the
> scheme is? It is interesting to speculate on what Tesla had in mind but it
> is useless to try and presume the details. Note that lightning is only a
> local condition that does not affect the fair weather currents that are
> always present in the earth's electrical system.
>
> I have no idea of what Tesla had in mind for his world electrical system.
> However, Tesla did have a clear understanding of the difference between
> electrical energy transmission by currents as compared to electrical
energy
> transmission by radiation (Hertzian waves) and he said his world
electrical
> system did not use Hertzian waves.
>
> Tesla had the genius to discover how to change Hertz's circuit so it was
> possible to create the radio, TV, etc, industry. This was the concept that
> Marconi took with him after visiting Tesla's lab. Because Tesla had the
> genius to visualize how to exploit Hertzian waves he may have had the
genius
> to exploit the earth's electrical system for the benefit of mankind.
>
> John Couture

	Tesla spells out his system very completely in his patents, and stated
that he was going to ionize the upper atmosphere to form a "conducting
layer" which was to serve as one terminal of a transmission line, with
the earth being the return line.  He says it all in language which is
far too clear to misinterpret.  He proposed using a voltage of the order
of 100 Megavolts to do so.  If you calculate the capacitance of the
capacitor which is formed by this layer [assume a more realistic height
of 50 miles, which makes the capacitance less than for his proposed
height] and the earth you'll find that it is enormous, with a very small
reactance even at his lowest proposed operating frequency of 925 Hz.
I've posted the analysis here but forget where I put it.  He stated that
he could transmit enormous amounts of energy all over the earth, with a
loss of "only a few horsepower".  Go through the following calculation:

1. Calculate the capacitance between the conducting layer and ground.

2. Calculate the reactance at any frequency you chose.

3. Calculate the reactive power required to excite that capacitance.

4. Calculate the required Q so that that power would only result in a
loss of a "few horsepower".

5. Calculate the total loss resistance [transmitting coil, vertical
conductor, conducting layer between two points, ground circuit
resistance] needed to produce that Q.

6. Calculate the effective bandwidth of the resulting resonant circuit.

7. Think about it all, then increase the permissible losses by a factor
of 1000 and think about it again.

	Comments solicited.

Ed