Re: Telsa was:Re: SSTC As a transmitter.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> >>engineer.  Perhaps he reserved this style for public consumption,
> >>for raising finance, but he does seem to have the habit of making
> >>extraordinary statements and claims, without qualifying them with
> >>answers to the obvious questions raised by their apparent
> >>indifference to the laws of physics.  What we seem to find when
> >>looking at his writings and descriptions of things, is that as we
> >>draw closer to the core principles or key functional details of
>
> > Particularly so in later writings... I think that he became more of a
> > "showman" as he got older.
>
>         I think we need to go gently here.  The Way Science
>         (and engineering) was done was different then than now.
>         Tesla came along at the end of the time when it was
>         _expected_ for a scientist to 'educate the public'
>         by public lectures and demonstrations.  What looks
>         showy to us, was (to some extent) the norm of the
>         time.

	Public lectures and demonstrations of the type he gave pre-Wardenclyffe
served both to educate and to PROVE THE CONCEPTS.  He demonstrated
equipment operating according to his principles.  After Colorado Springs
not much appeared except in the form of vague anectdotes such as his
mysterious "wireless electric car".  There is no reliable proof of any
of his gadgets with the possible exception of the Tesla turbine, which
isn't revolutionary and isn't even the first bladeless turbine, and his
speedometer, which is really a trivial device.

>         My impression is that, say, post Wardenclyffe, his
>         major outlet was pieces for the populr science mags.
>         His demos with HV had been showy at the time (say
>         1890-1900, without checking.)

	The HV demos were showy, but his demonstration of electrical apparatus
at the Columbian Exhibition was revolutionary and eminently practical.
If he's stopped there reputation would be at least as great as it is
now, but without any of the lunatic fringe contamination.

Ed