From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Saturday, August 03, 2002 3:38 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: FW: SSTC As a transmitter.

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

> I agree that Tesla's world electrical system does not appear to be
feasible.
> However, it does appear the ionosphere can be used as an emergency
> electrical system for space operations. NASA has already generated
> electricity using a tether from the shuttle. This is something closer to
> Tesla coils because high voltages and surrounding electrical fields are
> involved.

Except that that means of generating power is a fairly conventional "move a
conductor through a magnetic field" just like most other generators.  The
magnetic field just happens to be that of the earth, and the wire quite
long.  There is also charging in orbit due to charged particle impact (a
fairly big problem on things like ISS).

No extracting power from the ionosphere here.