Re: TC vs Electron Gun

Or, probably more to the point, if something goes wrong (not even from your
TC running), you're going to be standing up in front of a review board
explaining and attempting to prove that your box had absolutely nothing, no
sir, not a thing, to do with the "anomaly".  This is particularly so on a
manned flight.

It's the fear of a board of inquiry, not actual assessment of risk, that
causes these sorts of decisions to be made.  BUT, if anyone is seriously
interesting in running a TC in outer space (an interesting experiment), and
can come up with some sort of useful science to be gained, let me know.
There is funding available for such "wild" ideas.  You never know...

For background, check out the specs for a "GAS can" (GAS == Get away
special).. a fairly self contained thing that can be put in the Shuttle
cargo bay, at fairly low cost (<$50K-100K.. which is well within the funding
limit for wild ideas..).  A google search should find the specs and the
several hundred page safety manual that goes with it.

For an unmanned flight, it's a lot easier... There are a variety of launch
opportunities, particularly if you could get your "stuff" to fit in a cube
about 6-7" on a side (it can get bigger after deployment).

For a general idea of what sorts of requirements there are for flight
equipment::
D - 17868
http://acquisition.jpl.nasa.gov/rfp/OVWM_TWTA/exhibit1/D-17868.pdf - the
current "bible" for flight projects with design principles, guidelines, etc.

D- 8208
ttp://acquisition.jpl.nasa.gov/rfp/OVWM_TWTA/exhibit1/D-8208_I.pdf  - all
about packaging, etc. (read this one at bedtime when you have trouble
falling asleep)

http://acquisition.jpl.nasa.gov/rfp/OVWM_TWTA/exhibit1.pdf has a list of
typical documents applicable for a flight hardware procurement

But seriously, if someone has some good ideas on how to do the experiment,
I'm willing to help write the proposal, etc.