Re: New Variac (and lots of ?'s)

Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi Dan, All.

	That's what I figured, but I guess that's par for the course for me.  I
don't think I've EVER gotten a good deal on anything that works right
from anyone.  Plus, with this unit, the main problems were not visible
without some disassembly, so neither the sales guy (who really is a nice
guy), nor I knew of them.  The thing APPEARED to be in OK condition.

	With regard to ebay, I'm glad you and others have had success there,
but I've heard far too many ebay horror stories from far too many people
to EVER buy anything from there.  C and H Sales has things on ebay, and
I've been told by the sales guys that they've had trouble with buyers
not paying, and have had to file legal action, etc.  Even if ebay
weren't so fraught with uncertainty, I'm leary of trusting my money to
someone with no accountability to me.  I know there are legal contracts
binding both buyer and seller in an auction, but from what I've heard,
these are only "suggestions" :-\.

	On the bright side, I have a working (for now) variac, and am therefor
one step closer to being able to run my big MOT power supply.  I can now
completely and smoothly control my quad-copier xfmr PSU, which is a
great, rock-solid unit.  It's good for 4 kVA, and doesn't even warm up
much (it's current limited).

	I didn't mean for this to be a rant against ebay.  I just wanted to
state why I appear to like getting ripped off, and why I intentionally
pass up great deals on ebay.  Thanks for being honest with me ;-)).

Now eyeing my "new" variac with disgust,
Winston K.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>