Re: Electrical Oscillators in Space

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gary Peterson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <glpeterson-at-tfcbooks-dot-com>

> Re: TC vs Electron Gun
>
> > But seriously, if someone has some good ideas on how to do the experiment,
> > I'm willing to help write the proposal, etc.
>
> It might be interesting to observe the electrical characteristics of the
> following structures in free space:
>
> A) an AC generator with terminals connected to two identical electrical
> conductors of small cross section, extending in opposite directions, each
> 1/4 wavelength long at an arbitrary frequency.

Is this not just a dipole antenna?  There have been numerous versions of
this launched.  The popular deploy method (still used these days) is a
spring steel flat strip that starts out coiled (aka a measuring tape).

> B) an AC generator with one terminal connected through an impedance matching
> device to a large conducting sphere and the other terminal connected to an
> electrical conductor of small cross section, 1/4 wavelength long at an
> arbitrary frequency.

Again, Sputnik used this general form.

> C) an AC generator with one terminal connected through an impedance matching
> device to a large conducting sphere and the other terminal connected to an
> electrical conductor consisting of a helical coil of an electrical conductor
> of small cross section followed by a smaller sphere comprising a system
> effectively 1/4 wavelength long at an arbitrary frequency.
>
> Models A and B could incorporate inflatable cylinders to extend the 1/4-wave
> current elements.  Models B and C could incorporate inflatable Echo
> satellite type structures for the spheres.

If we believe in scaling laws (and I certainly do), then all these
experiments are easily done on or near the earth's surface, using higher
frequencies (say, 300 MHz, where a wavelength is 1 meter)... and hanging
from a balloon for example.

WHat we need is an experiment that needs a big vacuum, or that somehow
interacts with the outerspace environment.