Re: streamer loading effect

Hi Steve,

At 02:34 AM 8/9/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Tonight i ran my large 1800va TC.  Boy it was great!  unfortunately i didnt
>hit the ground with my arcs (well not yet, im about 10" away from that).  My
>toroid is at least about 44" above the ground.  Im getting a max of about
>56".  Besides rambling about my arc lengths, i noticed a neat little
>phenomena.  When the arcs get longer, the tuning get lower!  The difference
>in tuning will go from about 10 turns with a low spark gap setting, up to
>about 13 turns, as the arcs begin to spew out into the air.

The stremers are mostly conductive.  I made a wire "test streamer" out of a
bunch of lengths of piano wire:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/P5120013.jpg

The added wire (streamer) is just like adding top load to the coil.  It
lowers the frequency 5-10%.  A "wire" streamer is easy to make and may help
with pre-tuning a coil.

Even though I made it and took the picture, I never managed to test it...
I must have gotten something else on my mind...  &:-)  Maybe I'll try this
tonight.

I know the "rough average" load is about 1pF per foot of streamer length
but this should give a far better number.

Cheers,

	Terry