Measuring SRSG and tuning?

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

My SRSG will be finished in about a week.  Already constructed a very nice
PVC motor mount and the rotor work is just about completed.  My question is
how does one typically measure and tune a SRSG?

I was going to do the following, but maybe there is a better way?

1. Circuit consists of SRSG in series with a current limiting resistor
(although NST will limit itself) and attached to output of NST.

2.  Using my Tek 784D Digital Scope I would measure the input voltage
(115VAC, 60Hz) while monitoring the voltage across the gap using my 100kV
Oscilloscope Probe ("bend over, this won't hurt a bit . . .")

3.  From there, I could see exactly where the spark gap fires in relation to
the peak of the input voltage sine wave.

Thanks again.

(Of course, Dr. Resonance says just line up the top electrode with the flat
spot on the shaft, but I want to double check and make sure)

Daniel McCauley
Transmitter Engineer
Lockheed Martin Naval Electronics and Ship Systems
199 Borton Landing Road
Mailstop 142-4, Dept. 689
Moorestown, NJ 08057
(856) 722-2387