re: Streamer loading effect

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Well,
i ran the coil again tonight, and it was amazing!! I reached 2 long awaited
goals.  1, which i had since ever making my first coil, is having the arcs
strike down to the earth!!  Oh i love that!  Coolest thing ever.  and 2, ive
exeeded 5 feet! by one inch :)  I cant wait to get pictures!  But about this
about 3 turns due to the streamer lenght, and these turns are about 20"
diameter.  When at low power, i tune in at 11 turns, but at full blast, im
tuned to about 14.  I cant say i notice the "growing streamer" effect, where
when slightly out of tune, the arc pulls the coil into tune.  Now the arcs
ar so big that its really not noticeable, but what do i care, the arcs are
great!

I have a question about efficiency with my coil.  On the classic tesla java
TC calculator, they say my coil with a rotary gap, could produce a 6 foot
arc.  This makes me wonder about how helpful rotary gaps really are.  Im
using a somewhat undersized RQ gap, and getting close to the theoretical,
optimal output for my coil.  Am i missing something here, or is my coil
quite efficient for the spark gap that i have?  Or would perhaps a RSG boost
my output beyond 6 feet?  This 6 foot figure that the calculator gave me is
somewhat puzzling.  If John F. can get 42" (or 44" now) from a 12/30, why on
earth would a figure for 6 feet on a 1800w coil make sense for high
efficiency?  I know larger coils loose efficiency per power.  Oh well, i
should just be happy with what i have, and what i have is good enough for me
:)

Steve Ward