Re: RF caps for MMC construction - Mixed Up Comparison

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Now, if you're willing to go with the 1600Vdc rating instead of the Geek
>Group caps 2000Vdc rating, they've got 942c16p's and 943c16p's with
>capacitance from 0.1uF up to 0.68uF (the 2000Vdc caps only go up to
>0.15uF - the Geek Group cap size).  The 942c16p68k and 942c16p68k
>(1600Vdc, 0.68uF) have Average RMS Current ratings of 14.5A and 16A
>respectively. The 942c16p68k's are $4.27 each.  Anyone want to calculate
>how these would compare in MMC use?  The two factors being total cost,
>and total number of caps needed (less caps might even be worth more
>total cost to some, from an aesthetic point of view, compactness, ease
>of MMC construction, ...).
>
>942C16P68K
>http://catalog.rell-dot-com/rellecom/scripts/SkuPage.asp?SKU=165330
>
>All the above numbers taken from http://www.rell-dot-com
>
>         - Bill Vanyo

Ok,

Getting away from CD caps, i bought 1200v .68uf GE caps.  I had one string
of 24 for a cap rated .0283uf and 28.8kv.  I run this with a 15000v 120ma
PSU.  My coil performs wonderfully, and there is no heating in these caps!
and heres the kicker, they were only $1.52 each!!!!  They are sold at
madisound.  Im very happy to see that i have my complete cap bank for this
large coil for ~38bucks, and shipping was only like 4 bucks.  I also found
that Allied wanted some $8 for these same caps!  I cant wait until i have
more cash, i will definitely be buying another bank of them.

Steve Ward.

Just widening the horizon.