Re: OLTC Thoughts

Hi Richard,

At 11:16 AM 8/11/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Terry,
>
>Here are some other OLTC design thoughts.
>
>Your TC primary, 47 mF cap(s) and IGBT switch(s) form a large LC tank.
>Once fired this thank will have huge oscillatory currents.  What are the
>reverse stand off voltages of the IGBTs?

900 volts.  They make higher but these are really cheap.  I ran a bunch of
models studying what might happen to the voltage and where they run at and
they should be very safe.  I am also putting in some big MOVs to catch any
over voltage swings at 750V.  here is a pic of a transient and how the
coils handles it:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/OLTC-08-07-2.gif

>Hopefully they have a built in
>protection diode.  But, I would not depend on this small diode, if it
>exists, for protection.  Which brings up another point.  Richard Hull's H2
>thyratron magnifier, by necessity, quenched at the first zero crossing of
>the wave form.  So only the positive half of the energy cycle was passed to
>the primary.  While a very interesting design, it is not a spectacular
>performer, if one measures performance by spark length.  It's a phenomenal
>research device though.  You may consider adding free running back diodes
>across your IGBTs for protection and for a full one cycle energy transfer.

The IGBTs have big powerful anti-parallel diodes in them already ;-))

>Have you calculated the resonate oscillatory frequency of the primary tank
>without the switches?  Also consider moving the switch(s) outside the LC
>tank altogether to allow the tank to oscillate freely and transfer even
>more energy before you electronically quench it.  I'll leave these design
>thoughts up to your fertile electronics imagination.

They are fairly well outside it now.  I have to watch out for induced
currents from the primary on control wiring.

Cheers,

	Terry