Re: OLTC Thoughts

Hi Terry,

On 11 Aug 2002, at 23:01, Tesla list wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There has also been discursion off list about the fact that when I turn the
> IGBTs off, the reverse diodes will still be active.  I "think" it will not
> be a problem at all.  For the energy to get back into the primary, the
> primary circuit has to be tuned to Fo.  With just the anti-parallel diodes
> in the primary circuit, the "tuning" will be devastated and the primary
> should simply not be able to re-absorb the power.  Thus, the energy will be
> trapped in the secondary.

A voltage will be induced in the primary as the secondary continues
to oscillate. They key is whether that voltage matches the C-E
voltage as the power supply charges the caps back up. If it doesn't
on the first cycle of secondary oscillation after the IGBT drive has
been shut off, it should provide a clean break. Some years ago I did
all this with a bank of MOSFETs to investigate some of the Corum's
claims. My primary voltage was a rather modest 30V but the secondary
succeeded in generating thousands. The important point is that
shutting the gate drive off seemed to work despite the body diodes in
the FETs.
     I found no evidence to support the Corum's claims of "coherence"
BTW ;)

Regards,
malcolm